Monday, February 1, 2010

A Brief Case for my Briefcase: My Life Through Bags

Photobucket

Age: Kindergarten-2nd Grade: Dinosaur Bag

Upon entrance into kindergarten, I was given my first bag. It was a bright (and very cool), multicolored backpack with a dinosaur on it… and I loved it. I don’t really remember what I put in it, aside from the usual sharpened pencils, random ruler, and when the situation called for it, the occasional scissors. I felt old with it on, well, I felt like I was one of the big kids, ready to go have fun and maybe learn.* Though not exactly, it looked similar to this.

Photobucket

Age: 3rd-9th Grade: Jansport

My second major man bag was given to me by my mom on the occasion of going to a new school. I loved this backpack. It was simple and durable dark green, but more importantly, it was a “big kid” backpack. At this stage of life, I started to do homework, and began to come into my own personality.

We went through a lot together. With everything from going through and finishing elementary school together, as well as the turbulent Jr. High years. We went through endless soccer games, with him always carrying my cleats, countless sleepovers, long and often successful adventures, and more. We quickly became old friends, my backpack and I, my constant companion.

Though mine was dark green, it looked like this:

Photobucket

Age: 10th-12th Grade: Bass Case

As they say, “All good things must come to an end,” and after 6 good well used years, my old friend, and constant companion finally snapped. Literally. The straps ripped, and with that, that season of life ended.

In the tenth grade I bought my first bass guitar. It was a cheap Squire P Bass, and it became a big part of my life. I loved playing in bands, feeding off the energy of the crowds, and the close friendships it brought. We played as many shows as we could, one mosh pit at a time.

Of course, every bass needs its case, and I mine was a simple gig bag. My case was cheap thing, offering little to no protection, just the illusion of safety. It was black and had two straps, serving as a backpack. If I wasn’t at home, school, or at the beach, there was a good chance you would see me with my bass, and of course, its case.

Photobucket

Age: 18-22: Traveling Backpack

For three and half year, I lived abroad in Australia, working as a youth worker and missionary to the city of Newcastle, and the surround nations. For much that, I lived out of a backpack, enjoying life as traveled through different cultures, loving people as best as I could, and living out adventure. This backpack and I traveled and saw the world. I miss using this backpack and the lifestyle that came with it.

Unlike other bags I owned, rather then laying it down to rest when I moved on, this backpack continued to see the world. I gave it away when I was done living abroad to a friend just beginning his journey. Hopefully it’s still out there, rather then in some closet.

Photobucket

Age:23-26: Dakine Backpack

Once again, I entered a new chapter life, and with it came a new bag. Not surprisingly, it was another backpack. The new model was all back, durable, big, and comfortable backpack, complete with a waterproof laptop pocket. This sucker was big and it served me well. I tend to carry a lot of things with me as go. This bag was cool and practical.

This bag has traveled a completely different journey then all my previous companions, an academic and enlightening journey. I don’t know if I love this backpack, but it was solid and dependable.

Photobucket

Age: 26-Present: Brief Case

I recently graduated college and felt like it was time for a change. With graduating college comes a sense of completion, a sense of professionalism, a sense of adulthood. My whole life I’ve had backpacks, and I felt it was time to grow up. So I decided to get a briefcase. Luckily, at a white elephant Christmas party, I spotted the perfect case, my ninja turtle brief case! It has everything I need, space for a computer, charger, books, glasses, and more. But best of all, it has no straps, but a handle.

Looking back to my first backpack, I guess I haven’t really come too far. My briefcase is bright and colorful, and has the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it… and I love it. My first backpack was bright and colorful, with a dinosaur on it. Maybe that means I am an adult, but a kid a heart.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The funny thing is that when I walk around with my new briefcase, I feel older. J

I’ve had some good bags and some good times with some good people. Looking forward to another 25 years more of the same.

Aloha,

Ernie

*Mostly just having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment